Here are some of our favorite ways to enjoy apples:
1. Cinnamon Apples
- peel, core, and quarter 8-10 apples
- mix together in a large pot 1 1/2 quarts water, 1 cup sugar, 2 sliced lemons (or 1/4 cup lemon juice), and 6 cinnamon sticks (or 3-4 tsp ground cinnamon)
- place apples in pot with water mixture and heat to boiling
- reduce heat and simmer for 7-10 minutes
- serve warm
**warning: this will make your house smell so good you’ll want to bottle it up and store it for later!
2. Homemade Applesauce
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine 3 lbs of apples (peeled, cored, and sliced), 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water, 1 tsp ground cinnamon.
- Cover bowl with wax paper, and microwave for 9 minutes. Stir.
- Cover and microwave for 5 to 8 more minutes or until apples are soft.
- Puree in blender until desired consistency. Serve warm or cold.
3. Apple Cake
- Grease and flour a bundt cake pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine 4 cups apples (peeled, cored, and thinly sliced) with 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together 2 cups flour, 2 cups sugar, 1 tbsp baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Add 4 lg eggs, 1 cup canola oil, and 1/2 cup orange juice to the flour mixture. Beat with electric mixer for about 2 minutes. The batter should be very thick.
- Fold in apple mixture by hand.
- Spoon batter into cake pan and bake for 50-60 min, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a rack completely before removing from pan.
- Serve with caramel sauce: In a heavy saucepan, stir together: 2 cups sugar, 1 cup evaporated milk, 1 cup butter. Cook over med. heat stirring constantly until it has bubbled about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add 1 tsp. vanilla. Best served warm.
Best cake I’ve ever had, hands down!! Enjoy your apples.