We had a wonderful Christmas and New Year visiting with many extended family members and doing some fun things. We attended many Christmas festivities: band concerts, ballet recitals, school choir performances, and parties. We took the train downtown to see the Christmas lights at Temple Square, and hosted a potluck Christmas dinner for the 6 houses on our circle to get to know our neighbors better. Christmas Eve was spent at Derek’s sister’s house with more than 40 extended family members, complete with a nativity reading and carol singing. Christmas Day we opened presents, enjoyed playing with our presents, and got a visit from Derek’s parents and sister for dinner. My parents stayed with us the week after Christmas. We got to open presents from them, see the new Narnia movie, visit the Hill AFB museum, and go out to dinner. As a family we also visited Cabella’s Outfitters and Clark Planetarium.
1. We attended his work Christmas party up the mountain in Park City at the Kimball Art Center while his parents and sister stayed with the kids. Thankfully the roads had been cleared despite several inches of snow that had fallen that afternoon and evening.
2. Took the kids sledding yesterday–their first time since we moved here. They all had a great time even though James and Derek crashed, and James came home with a stiff neck.
3. Has been putting in some long hours finishing up an American Heart Assoc. grant that’s due this week.
4. Organized a family temple baptism trip with his parents, sisters, the boys, and some other teen-aged nieces and nephews. They were able to do several family names, and had a wonderful experience.
1. Derek, the older girls, and I enjoyed attending the Sunday morning Tabernacle Choir Christmas concert featuring David Archuletta (American Idol runner-up, season 7) while the boys babysat Faith. Awesome show!
2. For Christmas we got a family membership to the local rec center. I’ve taken the kids swimming a few times, and enjoy attending the Gentle Yoga class twice a week while Faith goes to child care and plays with the “babies”.
3. I’m working on some Jillibean Soup projects for the Craft and Hobby Association trade show I’ll be attending at the end of this month in LA. I’m so excited to stay with my parents and see some scrappy friends I haven’t seen for a while. =)
4. At her request, I’m taking Ashley to see the Utah Opera production of Hansel and Gretel.
1. Christmas loot: rock tumbler, pajamas, stuffed animal with a code to name his own star on the internet, snow globe, a cool wind up toy/contraption, a watch, and a leopard gecko named Fluffy that all the kids are sharing.
2. Enjoyed his 13th birthday trip to Boondock’s (laser tag, mini-golf, go carts, arcade, etc) with his friend, James, from church. Got some roller blades, Star Wars lego computer game, Star Wars lego building set, and Talisman (board game).
3. Performed a french horn solo from the Lord of the Rings (Gollum’s Song) at school and scored 100!
4. Spent the night at Derek’s parents’ house and worked on planning and building a trebuchet with Grandpa for his Science Olympiad competition.
1. Christmas loot: Croquet set, pajamas, stuffed animal with a code to name his own star on the internet, model fighter jet, a cool wind up toy/contraption, a watch, and Fluffy.
2. Didn’t quite enjoy his 13th birthday trip to Boondock’s as much as James because he didn’t dominate at laser tag like he hoped, but still had fun with his friend, Matt, from school. Also got some roller blades, Star Wars lego computer game, Star Wars lego building set, and Talisman (board game).
3. Performed a trumpet solo at school from the Lord of the Rings (Theme for Rohan) and scored a 99, only because he lifted his feet off the floor a few times. That’s just how Jeffrey plays–he can’t stand still, but it sure sounds great!
4. Also spent the night and Grandma and Grandpa’s house with James, but went to see Guardians of Ga’hoole at the discount theater with Uncle Mike and Aunt Jeannie.
1. Christmas loot: a karaoke set, pajamas, stuffed animal with a code to name her own star on the internet, a little toy puppy, Zhou Zhou pet carrier, and Fluffy.
4. Enjoyed spending her Michael’s gift card she got from Grandma on some new doll clothes, a little toy, and a sewing kit to make herself and her doll matching stuffed raccoons.
3. Performed the Chinese dance from the Nutcracker twice with her ballet class. She looked so pretty in her costume and make-up, and did a great job! (She’s the tallest, whitest, blondest one.)
4. Had way too much fun with 3 of her cousins who slept over on New Year’s Eve. They made several crafts, party hats, 2011 glasses, ate treats, and stayed up until midnight. I’m so glad we live close enough to do that, and that they all get along so well.
1. Christmas loot: large paint set, pajamas, stuffed animal with a code to name her own star on the internet, miniature tea set, Zhou Zhou pet carrier, and Fluffy.
2. Enjoyed spending her Michael’s gift card from Grandma on a new American Girl knock-off doll, and clothes.
3. Sang with her school 3rd grade choir. The theme was Pets at Christmas, so they all dressed up as dogs and cats and sang modified Christmas songs like, “Go Fetch it on the Mountain”, and “Dog Rest Ye Merry Gentle One”. It was very cute!
4. Also enjoyed the sleepover with her cousins, and only got about 7 hours of sleep–that made for one very happy but grumpy girl. =)
1. Christmas loot: a baby, a ride-on toy, pajamas, stuffed animal with a code to name her own star on the internet, a duck-popping-out-of-a-flower toy, and a Zhou Zhou pet.
2. Cut all four of her two-year molars over the break–poor thing, she’s not even 18 months yet! Ouch!
3. Spends a lot of time walking the halls with Derek or I at church now. Eleven more weeks until she’s old enough for nursery. All three of us can’t wait!
4. Favorites: pulling off all of the shatter-proof ornaments on the bottom third of the Christmas tree, Veggie Tales videos, playing with the “babies” at the rec center child care, swimming, cookies, bananas, red grapes, corn dogs, rolls, mac n cheese, snuggles, touching/rubbing/pinching skin (it’s like her blanket), reading books, animals and their sounds, seeing the kids and Daddy when they come home.
|Faith, the cute Christmas Elf blur who spent lots of time redecorating the tree|
|Lexie with our neighbor’s dog, Izzy; Ashley in her Nutcracker costume|
|James (L) and Jeffrey (R) entertain Faith while we decorate the tree|
|New Year’s Eve sleepover|