There’s great value in keeping my own personal gratitude journal, but my family has also had a long tradition of recording things we’re thankful for during the month of November. Some years this record has been a list we keep on the fridge; some years it’s been a turkey poster on the wall that we add feathers too with blessings written on them; some years it’s been a thankful tree. This year we made a Thankful Turkey.
So here’s the idea:
- buy a pumpkin on Halloween–they should be pretty cheap
- die cut or free hand cut a turkey head and some feathers
- write blessings down on the feathers and tape a bamboo skewer to the back of each one
- tape a skewer to the back of the turkey head
- use a large nail and hammer to make holes and stick the skewered feathers and the head into the pumpkin
- add more feathers during the month of November and read all the blessing feathers on Thanksgiving Day