Hello crafters and happy summer! I hope you’re able to safely enjoy the warmer weather. We’re spending more time outdoors these days and that always means we need to keep up the hydration. What better way to do that than with a custom tumbler. But this isn’t just any custom tumbler. This tumbler is made with thermal and solar mica powders swirled into galaxy-style goodness!
To make a mica swirl custom tumbler you need the following supplies:
- Spin It Tumbler Turner
- Spin It Arm & Base (optional)
- USB Battery Pack (optional)
- Stainless steel tumbler
- White primer + paint (this is my fave)
- Painters or masking tape
- Epoxy Resin
- Spin It Thermal and Solar Mica Powders ( Mint to Blue, Pink to Purple, White to Wine)
- Small paper or plastic cups
- Wood craft sticks
- Plastic sheet or tarp
- Nitrile gloves
- Silicone Mat (optional)
- Silicone Brush (optional)
- Silicone Molds (optional)
- Spin It Glitter Mix (Fairy Dust–optional)
The first thing to do is to find a well ventilated work space, and to cover your work surface with a plastic sheet or tarp to protect it. Then tape off the bottom of your tumbler with painter or masking tape and paint the outside with the white primter + paint. One coat will be fine if you’ve used a paint and primer combo. I turn my tumbler upside down when painting and that protects the inside so you don’t need to tape it off. Allow the paint to dry complete and remove the tape off the bottom before applying epoxy.
Once your cup is painted, dry and free of tape, you’re ready to customize it! Watch the video below of my free Michaels class to learn how to create the mica swirl design on your tumbler.
Here are a couple of my favorite things about this project:
- Each mica swirl tumbler turns out unique and very cool
- Use up your leftover resin by making coasters and pendants with the Spin It silicone molds
- The solar and thermal powders change color (see video below)
If you try this fun technique be sure to share online and tag me. I’d love to see how yours turn out! Happy summer and keep on crafting.